In Benin, the job market is very largely dominated by the informal sector (more than 95% of the employment, of which 60% in the agricultural sector). Around 75 000 first-time job seekers enter the job market every year: the large majority of them have got no qualification. In order to promote youth integration, authorities have endeavored to renew and adapt the vocational training system, in creating certificates of professional qualification (CQP). However, the capacities of the centers are limited and the offer for training respond only partially to the needs of the companies in particular.
This is due to a number of factors: the obsolescence of the training frame of reference, a quasi-absence of practical modules, the lack of material and the low rate of trainers recycling. Today, vocational trainings are dispensed in 17 training centers that receive 9 300 students. More than 20 000 young people go to private establishments. The total number of students estimated to more than 30 000 remains below the demand and barely respond to the needs of the job market.
The project pursues three goals:
- The development of a dual type of formation offer with a vocation block release in three departments (Zou, Collines, Mono and Couffo), coherent with the need of the formal and/or informal companies et the opportunities of self-employment (mainly in maintenance, stocking, building trades, transformation and products development);
- The amelioration of youth integration in employment and self-employment, in partnership with the local actors (communes, professional organizations…)
- The building of capacities that enable the Ministry of Secondary and Technical Education, Vocation Training and Youth Integration ( MESTFPRIJ) to steer the vocational o training system.
The impacts will be the following:
- 1200 young people trained and the capacities of 1000 master craftsmen will reinforced ;
- Reinforcement of the training centers;
- Opening new training courses;
- Implication of companies and professional organizations;
- Actions regarding the integration at the local level;
- Reinforcement of the dual type of training system.
on the same region
on the same topicPublished on29 September 2010Published on19 December 2012Published on01 September 2017
on the same financial toolPublished on17 December 2014Published on13 August 2013Published on01 January 2018