3rd conference: “Who does land belong to? The transformation of African agriculture” (6 June)
During this conference-debate organized on Wednesday 6 June from 14:00 to 16:30 by AFD, the French Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs and the French Cooperation “Land and Development” Technical Committee, the issues addressed will include rapid population growth, the depletion and deterioration of natural resources and the growing commercial pressure on land. Faced with these strong emerging trends, how can all the risks that weigh on land and those who work on it be overcome in order to make land a real driving force for development?
This conference will be held on 6 June 2012 from 14:00 to 16:30 at AFD’s headquarters, 5 rue Roland Barthes, 75012 PARIS
What land reforms are able to meet the challenges of food security, sustainable management and the fight against poverty and inequalities?
Between customs and modernity, what are the current practices for access to land in Africa? What assessment can be made of land policies since independence? What are the risks and opportunities offered by new investors? What are the catalysts that can be used to make land a driving force for the modernization of African agriculture?
Recognized experts and personalities will share their analyses, at the crossroads of anthropology, law, economics and development, in order to debate these major issues and provide their insight.
- Jean-Pierre CHAUVEAU, Research Director Emeritus at Institut de Recherche pour le Développement (IRD).
- Etienne LE ROY, Emeritus Professor of the Anthropology of Law at Paris 1 Sorbonne University
- Michel MERLET, Director of the Association for the Governance of Land, Water and Natural Resources (aGter)
- Alain DURAND LASSERVE, Research Director Emeritus at the Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (CNRS)
- Fanjambola Yolande RAZAFINDRAKOTO, Executive Director of the NGO EFA, Former consultant as Technical Advisor to the Ministry for the New Land Policy (2004-2005); Former Director of the MCA Madagascar land project (2006-2009)
- Ousmane SY, Coordinator of the Alliance for Rebuilding Governance in Africa (ARGA), Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Africa Governance Institute (AGI), Former Minister of Territorial Administration and Local Authorities, Mali (2000-2002).
14:00: Opening by Jean-Luc François, Director of the Agriculture, Rural Development and Biodiversity Division (AFD)
14:15: Comparison of 4 specific views on the progress and challenges of land policies
15:15: Comparison with the main development challenges by two key speakers
16:00: Discussions with the public
17:00: Closing by François Goldblatt, Director of the Global Economy and Development Strategies Directorate (MAEE), subject to confirmation
The “Ideas for Development” cycle of conferences
From 29 May to 13 June, AFD will be organizing an “Ideas for Development” cycle of five interdisciplinary conferences on a range of topic areas. These events will provide a framework for discussions on development issues with numerous experts with a professional or personal interest in this field. They are intended as a new forum for debates and meetings between researchers, students, professionals from a wide range of fields, and the general public.