Development assistance deserves a wide-angle
The world is changing. Destinies are inextricably intertwined in the face of the challenges for the future of the planet. Photographers, as witnesses of these major changes, are invaluable messengers and their essential work must be strongly encouraged and disseminated. It is for this reason that AFD has a longstanding history with photography, marked by some wonderful collaborations.
One of them started in 2012, with the launch of the first AFD Photography Prize, open exclusively to professional photographers. By associating prestigious names from the media and photography, AFD’s aim is to raise the awareness of an ever-increasing public about development issues and share this objective of actively working to achieve a more just and more sustainable world.
► Winners of AFD Photo Contest, 2015 edition [+]
- Grand Prix AFD/Polka for the Best Photo Report Project : Johann Rousselot for "Delhi 21"
© Nicolas Moulard
- AFD/Libération Special Prize for the Best Photo Report : Olivier Jobard for "Balkans Transit"
© Olivier Jobard
- AFD/Nikon Prize for the Best Web Documentary : Vlad Sokhin for "Crying Meri"
© Vlad Sokhin
► Timeline [+]
• June 15th 2015: AFD Photo Contest opens for entries
• November 12th: Final day to enter the 2015 AFD Photo Contest
• November 16-17 th: Jury selects finalists at AFD
• December 17th: Jury selects winners at AFD
• January 12th 2016 : Winners’ award ceremony at the Maison Européene de la Photographie.
► The jury[+]
Alain Mingam – President of the Jury, photojournalist and exhibition commissioner
- Daphné Angles, European Picture Coordinator, New York Times
- Hervé Brusini, Director, FranceTV News
- Jean-François Camp, Director, Central Dupon Images
- Lionel Charrier, Photo Editor, Libération
- Sophie Dufau, Editor-in-Chief, Mediapart
- Franck Fertille, Director of Partnerships, Gallimard
- Bertrand Gallet, Director, Cités Unies
- Alain Genestar, Publication Director, Polka magazine
- Francis Kohn, Photo Director, AFP
- Jean-François Leroy, founder and Director, Visa pour l'image
- Michel Le Bris, Director and founder, “Étonnants Voyageurs” (Amazing Travelers) Festival
- Sylvaine Lecoeur, Managing Director, PixPalace
- Alain Le Gouguec, Editor-in-Chief of Interception, France Inter
- Marion Mertens, Editor-in-Chief, Paris-Match Digital Editions
- Jean-Luc Monterosso, Director, Maison Européenne de la Photographie
- Marco Nassivera, News Editor, Arte
- Jean-Jacques Naudet, Publication Director, L'Oeil de la Photographie
- Julien Pain, Director of “Les Observateurs”, France24
- Brigitte Patient, Producer, Radio France
- Michel Puech, Photo Critique / Associate Editor, Mediapart / Le journal de la photographie
- Olivier Ray, Head of the Crisis and Conflict Unit, AFD
- Reza, Photojournalist, Webistan
- Bernard Sabrier, Chairman of Unigestion
- Aurélie Viel, Bayeux-Calvados Photo Award for War Correspondents
► Three different prizes[+]
It is open exclusively to professional photojournalists: freelance or employed by French or international media (daily newspapers, magazines, television channels) or by agencies (press agencies, multimedia agencies, photography collectives).
- AFD / Polka Grand Prix for the Best Photo Report Project, dealing with the topic of development. Prize : 15,000€ to make the report + publication in Polka Magazine + exhibition(s) at Maison Européenne de la Photographie in Paris and a tour.
- AFD / Libération Special Prize for the Best Photo Report, report made between 1 January 2014 and 31 October 2015. Prize : 5,000 €
- AFD / Nikon Prize for the Best Web Documentary. Prize : a D800 digital SLR camera and an AF-S 24-85mm lens (worth 3,600€)
► Winners of AFD Photo Contest, 2014 edition [+]
- AFD / Polka Grand Prix for the Best Photo Report Project
Massimo Berruti, “Drops. Water crisis in Gaza and the West Bank”
- AFD / Réponses Photo Special Prize for the Best Photo Report
Romain Laurendeau, “Sidi Moussa”
Crédit © Romain Laurendeau / Hans Lucas.
- AFD / Nikon Prize for the Best Web Documentary
Team Project « ReBuilding Haiti ». Florent Maurin / The Pixel Hunt, Jean Abbiatteci, Perceval Barrier, Pierre Morel, Gilles Boisson, Bérénice Froger. Photographer – Pierre Morel.
Crédit © Pierre Morel
► Winners of AFD Photo Contest, 2013 edition [+]
- The AFD Nikon Award for the Best Web Documentary : Cédric Gerbehaye for “Broken Hopes” (West Bank)
@ Cédric Gerbehaye
- The AFD Special Award for the Best Photo Report : Gaël Turine for “La Clôture de la honte” / “The fence of shame” (India/Bangladesh)
@ Gaël Turine
- The AFD Polka Grand Prix for the Best Photo Report Project : Marie Dorigny for “Main basse sur la terre” / “Land grabbing”
@ Marie Dorigny for Agence Française de Développement
► Winners of AFD Photo Contest, 2012 edition [+]
- AFD Canon Award for the Best Web Documentary: Laurent WEYL for « Squatteurs, soyez les bienvenus ! » (“Squatters are welcome!”)
© Laurent Weyl
- AFD Award for the Best Photo Report: Patrick WILLOCQ for « Sur la route de Bikoro à Bokonda » (“On the road from Bikoro to Bokonda”)
© Patrick Willocq
- AFD Polka Award for the Best Photo Report Project on a development topic: Alain BUU, for « Inde, surpopulation et manque d'eau » (“India, overpopulation and water scarcity”)
© Alain Buu for Agence Française de Développement