The diversity of migratory phenomena (international, domestic, South-South, North-South, South-North) carries opportunities (migrant remittances, poverty reduction, resilience to crises, movement of skills, cultural diversity…), but also risks (brain drain, uncontrolled urbanization, rural exodus…). Consequently, migratory flows are central to sustainable development challenges, particularly in terms of climate change, youth employment and taking inequalities into account. AFD thus considers migration as a key to understanding the developing world and mainstreams these issues into its strategies, operations and knowledge production activities.
Quantifying and qualifying dynamics of human mobility, studying its determinants and impacts on development, as well as public policies able to influence them, are therefore a major field of investigation for AFD’s knowledge production. AFD plays a leading role in producing studies and research on the theme of migration and development, but also in producing data (database on the competencies of migrants with the OECD) and in organizing important international events on the subject, such as the Migration and Development Conference with the World Bank, Center for Global Development and International Migration Institute in Oxford.
The themes studied include reducing the cost and optimizing the developmental impact of remittances, supporting the productive investment of migrants, the local dimension of the migration and development dialectic, the mobilization of migrants’ competences and environmental migration.
The international “Migration and development” conferences
Other events organized or co-organized by AFD
- Pan-African seminar: “Migrant remittances and financial innovations” with the African Development Bank, March 2014
- First “Investing in villages in Africa and Haiti” meetings, 25 November and 18 December 2013
- Feedback workshop on the study on supporting the productive investments of Senegalese nationals, 5 July 2012 in Paris and 17 October 2012 in Dakar
- OECD-AFD conference “Identify and mobilize migrants' skills for development”, 5 October 2012
- AFD-IDDRI-World Bank seminar “Environmental Migration in the Middle East and North Africa, 13-14 June 2012
- High-level symposium on migrant remittances, 21 February 2012