Electricidade de Moçambique (EDM), the public company responsible for the generation, transmission, distribution and sale of electricity, has been commissioned by the Mozambican government to develop a sustainable energy strategy for the country. The goal is to achieve a significant reduction in CO2 emissions, while supporting the growth of electricity demand. The involvement of private actors is crucial, given the amount of the investments to be made.
The project consists of the provision of technical assistance to EDM to:
- Identify priority sites for the development of solar and wind power generation plants with a unit capacity of 30 to 50 MW;
- Supervise the realization of feasibility studies (land, technical, legal, economic, environmental and social aspects) on each of the sites identified;
- Draft the standard, legal and financial documentation included in the tender documents;
- Accompany EDM in the evaluation process of tenders received all the way until signature of the contract by the companies awarded contracts for the realization of solar and wind power plants.
The development of solar and wind power plants at a competitive electricity sales price should:
- Diversify of the country's energy mix,
- Provide a quick and cheap solution in remote areas suffering from a production deficit;
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
This initiative is part of the National Renewable Energy Strategy, which aims to strengthen Mozambique's resilience to climate change.
This project is carried out with the support of the European Union
The content of this project information sheet falls under the sole responsibility of the AFD and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of the European Union.