A climate change adaptation project.
The Philippine archipelago is exposed to major natural disaster risks (seismic, volcanic meteorological risks…) and is considered as one of the most vulnerable countries to climate change. The annual losses and damage caused by disasters stood at an average of over 0.5% of GDP between 1970 and 2009, with a considerable number of human losses. Indeed, 74% of the population is exposed to more than one type of natural hazard.
In this respect, support for the national climate and disaster risk reduction strategy has been defined as one of the key areas of AFD’s operations in the country. During the visit to the Philippines made by the French President François Hollande in February 2015, and in the context of a stronger partnership announced between the two countries, France pledged to support prevention actions on a national scale, in response to natural disasters related to climate change or other causes.
The project is in the form of sectoral budget support to contribute to the implementation of the National Risk Prevention and Management Plan in the Philippines and, more specifically, its effective implementation at local level. This support aims to contribute to sustainable development via communities which are more resilient to risks by improving the capacities of local authorities to anticipate, foresee, mitigate and manage the impacts of natural disasters. Indeed, the Philippine local authorities are key actors for risk prevention and management (DRRM Act 2010). The project has three objectives:
- Consolidate the strategic and regulatory framework for disaster risk reduction (DRR) in order to promote its implementation at local level;
- Better integrate DRR into urban planning;
- Continue the institutionalization process and build local capacities in terms of DRR.
- Strategic and regulatory framework for climate change adaptation and disaster risk reduction strengthened
- Local action promoted for disaster risk prevention, reduction and management
- Resilience of local communities strengthened Risk-sensitive sustainable urban planning widely implemented
on the same regionClimateSustainable CitiesSustainable CitiesClimateSustainable CitiesClimate
on the same topicEnergyClimateInfrastructureSustainable CitiesBiodiversityClimate
on the same financial toolWater and SanitationClimateInfrastructureSustainable Cities