At AFD, economist Anda David is in charge of research programs on inequality, poverty and international migration.
Her current projects focus on the impact of emigration on countries of origin (labor market, women’s labor), inequalities, social cohesion and aid effectiveness. She also analyzes inequalities and migration patterns, and coordinates the scientific aspects of the European Research Facility on Inequalities.
Prior to joining AFD's research division in 2015, Anda David worked on these issues through regular collaborations with the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), the International Labor Organization (ILO) and the World Bank.
Completing her doctorate with the Paris Dauphine/IRD “Development, Institutions and Globalization” (DIAL) joint team, Anda David specialized in development economics, with a focus on migration and the labor market in Middle Eastern and North African countries. During a postdoctoral program at the Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, she analyzed return migration during periods of crisis. Among her first research projects at AFD, Anda David helped develop computable general equilibrium models to simulate the effects of migration policies.
Publications as an authorResearch documentpublished in October 2020Research documentpublished in April 2020Research documentpublished in February 2020Research documentpublished in September 2019Research documentpublished in April 2019Research documentpublished in January 2018
Publications as a coordinatorResearch documentpublished in December 2020Research documentpublished in December 2020Research documentpublished in December 2020Research documentpublished in December 2020Research documentpublished in November 2020Research documentpublished in November 2020
- "The economics of the Syrian refugee crisis in neighboring countries – The case of Lebanon", with M.-A. Marouani, C. Nahas and B. Nilsson, Economics of Transition and Institutional Change, Early View (2019)
- "Leaving work behind ? The impact of emigration on female labour force participation in Morocco", with A. Lenoël, International Migration Review n°53, issue 1, pp. 122-153 (2018)
- "Back to Square One : Socioeconomic Integration of Deported Migrants", International Migration Review n°51, issue 1, pp. 127-154 (2018)
- "Migrating out of a crowded labor market: evidence from Egypt", with J. Jarreau, IZA Journal of Development and Migration, n°7, article 6 (2017)
- "Migration de retour et inadéquation éducative en Égypte et Tunisie", with C.J. Nordman, Espace, populations, sociétés, n°2017/1 (2017) – English version available here
- "Reintegration upon return: insights from Ecuadorian returnees from Spain", with M. Mercier, R. Mahia and R. de Arce, International Migration n°54, issue 6 (2016)
- "Migration and Employment Interactions in a Crisis Context: the Case of Tunisia", with M.-A. Marouani, Economics of Transition and Institutional Change, vol. 23, issue 3 (2015)
- "Poverty Reduction and Growth Interactions: What Can Be Learned From the Syrian Experience?", with M.-A. Marouani, Development Policy Review vol. 30, issue 6, pp. 773-787 (2012)
Working papers :
"International versus International Migration in Egypt: Together or Far Apart", with J. Wahba and N. El-Mallakh, ERF Working Paper Series n°1366 (2019)
"Social cohesion in times of forced displacement – the case of young people in Jordan", with J. Kuhnt, R. Rischke and T. Lechtenfeld, Courant Research Centre “Poverty, Equity and Growth in Developing and Transition Countries” Discussion Papers n°243 (2017)
"Does International Migration Help them Marry earlier? A Hazard Model for the Case of Egypt", with R. Hendy, ERF Working Paper Series n°1051 (2016)
"Short and Long-Term Impacts of Emigration on Origin Households: The Case of Egypt", with J. Jarreau, ERF Working Papers Series n°977 (2015)
"Determinants of emigration: Evidence from Egypt", with J. Jarreau, ERF Working Papers Series n°987 (2016)
"Skill Mismatch and Return Migration in Egypt and Tunisia", with C.J. Nordman, DIAL Working Papers n°DT/2014-05 (2014)
"The Labor Mobility-Employment Nexus: A General Equilibrium Analysis for Jordan", with M.-A. Marouani, ERF Working Papers Series n°824 (2013)
"The Impact of Labor Mobility on Unemployment: A comparison between Jordan and Tunisia", with M.-A. Marouani, ERF Working Papers Series n°824 (2013)
"International Labor Mobility and Employment Interactions in Tunisia", with M.-A. Marouani, ERF Working Papers Series n°804 (2013)
Chapters in collective works:
- "Migration to and from Mediterranean Countries", chapter 1 of Mediterra. Migration and inclusive rural development in the Mediterranean, book co-diriged by CIHEAM and AFD, Presses de Sciences Po (2019)
- "Migration Patterns and Labor Market Outcomes", with M.-A. Marouani, in R. Assaad and M. Boughzala’s The Tunisian Labor Market in an Era of Transition, Oxford University Press (2018)
Other publications to which Anda David has contributed:
- "Are the characteristics and scope of African migration outside of the continent changing", with R. d’Aiglepierre, J.-C. Dumont and G. Spielvogel, OECD Migration Data Brief n°5 (2019)
- "The new immigrants: Global trends in migration towards OECD countries", with R. d’Aiglepierre, J.-C. Dumont and G. Spielvogel, OECD Migration Data Brief n°4 (2019)