Emmanuel Fourmann is a research officer at AFD, where he studies the links between inequality, taxation and the environment.
A graduate of the French National School of Statistics and Economic Administration (ENSAE, 1987) and University of Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (1991), Emmanuel Fourmann worked first as a volunteer in Burkina Faso (1987-1989) and then as a researcher at the French Economic Observatory (OFCE, 1989-1994). He then worked at the French Ministry of Finance's Directorate of the Budget (1994-1999).
Emmanuel Fourmann joined AFD in 2000, working for 4 years on country risk, African economies and debt reduction. Assigned to AFD's Cameroon office in 2003, he structured the first Debt Reduction-Development Contract (C2D) and followed regional macro-economy (Cameroon, Central African Republic, Equatorial Guinea), as well as the education and health sectors. Assigned to AFD's Madagascar office in 2007, he oversaw social sectors and the second C2D, and then the sectors of urban development, port rehabilitation and energy.
Returning to AFD headquarters in 2011, he became country manager for China, following renewable energy, thermal rehabilitation of buildings and biodiversity projects. In 2014, he became "forests and biodiversity" project team manager, designing and supervising projects in Asia (India, Indonesia), the Mediterranean (Turkey, Lebanon), Africa (CAR), the Indian Ocean (Madagascar) and the Caribbean (Haiti, Caribbean Biodiversity Fund). He developed an expertise on natural capital accounting and on issues related to the creation and management of biodiversity conservation trust funds. In 2022, he joined AFD's Research Department where he currently works on inequalities, taxation and the environment, notably within the framework of the EU-AFD Research Facility on Inequalities.
- « La crise ivoirienne et son impact régional : regard sur l'actualité et scénarios pour l'avenir », Afrique contemporaine n°206 (2003)
- « Situation macroéconomique du Bénin en 2002 : une économie épiphyte » (October 2002)
- « Aide au développement : rénover les stratégies », Futuribles n°176 (May 1993)
- « L'Europe et l'Afrique : flux et reflux », Politique africaine n°49 (January 1993)
- « L'Europe et l'Afrique, d'un Berlin à l'autre : 1885 - 1989 », Revue de l'OFCE n°43 (January 1993)
- « Lutter contre le chômage de masse en Europe », Revue de l'OFCE n°48 (January 1994)
- « Royaume-Uni : à livre ouverte... », Lettre de l'OFCE n° 109 (November 1992)
- « Économie mondiale 1990-2000 : l'impératif de croissance », Économica, 1992