Florent McIsaac is in charge of developing the Brazilian and Ivorian applications of the macroeconomic modeling tool GEMMES (General Monetary and Multisectoral Macrodynamics for the Ecological Shift).
Developed by AFD, GEMMES is one of the only macroeconomic modeling tools that integrates in its scenarios the economic and financial risks associated with climate change and the scarcity of resources. A global version already exists but the model still needs to be adapted to the specificities of each country. Florent McIsaac is in charge of monitoring its application in Brazil, which is already well advanced, and developing the one for Côte d’Ivoire. He also conducts research on resilient and low-carbon transition.
An expert in macroeconomic modeling, he has contributed to the methodological and empirical development of several approaches, all built around the concept of interactions between economics, money and climate. Before joining AFD, he completed a doctoral thesis entitled “Energy and Money in New Frameworks for Macro-dynamics”, at the Centre d’économie de la Sorbonne de l’Université Paris 1 – Panthéon Sorbonne. Then, as economist associated with the Energy and Prosperity chair, in which AFD is partner, Florent McIsaac continued his work around the integration of monetary and energy dynamics in macroeconomic modeling. He joined the GEMMES unit at AFD in 2015.
Publications as an authorResearch documentpublished in February 2020Research documentReaching Brazil's Nationally Determined Contributions: An Assessment of the Key Transitions in Final Demand and Employmentpublished in October 2019Research documentCoping with the Collapse: A Stock-Flow Consistent Monetary Macrodynamics of Global Warming - Updated version dated July 2017published in July 2017Research documentpublished in February 2017Research documentpublished in December 2017Research documentCoping with the Collapse: A Stock-Flow Consistent Monetary Macrodynamics of Global Warming. Updated version: January 2017published in July 2017
- "Reaching Brazil's Nationally Determined Contributions: An assessment of the key transitions in final demand and employment", with D. Bastidas, Energy Policy, vol. 135, 110983 (2019)
- "Minskyan classical growth cycles: stability analysis of a stock-flow consistent macrodynamic model", with D. Bastidas and A. Fabre, Mathematics and Financial Economics, vol. 13, issue 3, pp. 359–391 (2019)
- "Debt and damages: What are the chances of staying under the 2°C warming threshold?", with E. Bovari and O. Lecuyer, International Economics, vol. 155, pp. 92-108 (2018)
- "Coping With Collapse: A Stock-Flow Consistent Monetary Macrodynamics of Global Warming", with E. Bovari and G. Giraud, Ecological Economics, vol. 147, pp. 383-398 (2018)
- "The effects of oil price shocks in a new-Keynesian framework with capital accumulation", with V. Acurio Vásconez, G. Giraud and N.-S. Pham, Energy Policy, vol. 86, pp. 844-854 (2015)