Philippe Roudier is an expert on climate change risks and climate and weather services applied to agriculture and water resource management.
In his role as Research Officer, Philippe Roudier works on climate and weather models and makes them operational so that they are a useful tool for local communities. He uses modeling and participatory approaches to achieve this goal, inviting experts and members of civil society in the countries where he works to share their experiences and needs. Philippe Roudier also supports AFD operations, particularly in implementing the Adapt’Action facility for the Indian Ocean Commission and Dominican Republic.
After graduating with an engineering degree from the National School for Water and Environmental Engineering of Strasbourg (ENGEES), Philippe Roudier completed his PhD at the International Research Center on Environment and Development (CIRED). His thesis was on the impact of climate change on agriculture and the assessment of weather and seasonal forecasts as an adaptation strategy in West Africa. He continued to focus on these topics at the European Commission Joint Research Center, incorporating the issue of water resources. After creating and working on models of natural catastrophes at Aon Benfield, a company specialized in risk management, he joined AFD in 2017.
Publications as an author
- "Evaluating agricultural weather and climate services in Africa: evidence, methods, and a learning agenda", with C. Vaughan, J. Hansen, P. Watkiss and Edward Carr, WIREs Climate Change (2019).
- "Deux exemples de stratégies de gestion du risque agricole en Afrique de l’Ouest : services climatiques et assurances indicielles", with A. Leblois, B. Sultan, C. Kane and S. Weber, Faire face aux risques en agriculture, éd. L’Harmattan, pp. 239-256 (2019).
- "Agroécologie et changement climatique : des liens intimes et porteurs d’espoir", with E. F. Torquebiau, J. Demenois, S. Saj, E. Hainzelin and F. Maraux, La transition agro-écologique des agricultures du Sud, éd. Quae, pp. 245-255 (2019).
- "Tropical Crops and Resilience to Climate Change", with N. Benkeblia, M. McHenry and J. Crisp, Climate Change and Crop Production: Foundations for Agroecosystem Resilience, CRC Press, pp. 83-104 (2018).
- "Impacts of climate change on European hydrology at 1.5, 2 and 3 degrees mean global warming above preindustrial level", with C. Donnelly, W. Greuell, J. Andersson, D. Gerten, G. Pisacane and F. Ludwig, Climatic Change, vol. 43, issue 1-2, pp. 13-26 (2017).
- "Assessing the benefits of weather and seasonal forecasts to millet growers in Niger", with A. Alhassane, C. Baron, S. Louvet and B. Sultan, Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, vol. 223, pp. 168-180 (2016).
- "Projections of future floods and hydrological droughts in Europe under a +2°C global warming", with J. C. M. Andersson, C. Donnelly, L. Feyen, W. Greuell and F. Ludwig, Climatic Change, vol. 135, issue 2, pp. 341-355 (2016).Climatic Change, vol. 135, issue 2, pp. 341-355 (2016).
- "Evaluation of five hydrological models across Europe and their suitability for making projections under climate change", with W. Greuell, J. C. M. Andersson, C. Donnelly, L. Feyen, D. Gerten, F. Ludwig, G. Pisacane and S. Schaphoff, Hydrology and Earth System Sciences (HESS), vol. 12, pp. 10289-10330 (2015).
- "Climate change impacts on river runoff in West Africa : a review", with A. Ducharne and L. Feyen, Hydrology and Earth System Sciences (HESS), vol. 18, pp. 2789–2801 (2014).
- "The role of climate forecasts in smallholder agriculture : lessons from participatory research in West Africa", with B. Muller, P. d’Aquino, C. Roncoli, M.-A. Soumaré, L. Batté and B. Sultan, Climate Risk Management, vol. 2, pp. 42-55 (2014).
- "Assessing climate change impacts on sorghum and millet yields in the sudanian and sahelian savannas of West Africa", with B. Sultan, P. Quirion, A. Alhassane, B. Muller, M. Dingkuhn, P. Ciais, M. Guimberteau, S. Traore and C. Baron, Environmental Research Letters, vol. 8, n° 1 (2013).
- "Assessing dominant uncertainties in urban buildup-washoff processes under climate change : A case study in Western Switzerland", with S. Coutu, S. Kramer and B. Bates, Urban Climate, vol. 5, pp. 52-67 (2013).
- "Les bénéfices de la prévision saisonnière pour l’agriculture en Afrique de l’Ouest", with B. Sultan and P. Quirion, Science et changements planétaires / Sécheresse, vol. 24, n° 4, pp. 304-313 (2013).
- "An ex-ante evaluation of the use of seasonal climate forecasts for millet growers in SW Niger", with B. Sultan, P. Quirion, C. Baron, A. Alhassane, S. B. Traoré and B. Muller, International Journal of Climatology, vol. 32, issue 5, pp. 759-771 (2012).
- "La question de la vulnérabilité et de l’adaptation de l’agriculture sahélienne au climat au sein du programme AMMA", with B. Sultan, A. Alhassane, B. Barbier, C. Baron, M. Bella-Medjo Tsogo, A. Berg, M. Dingkuhn, J. Fortilus, M. Kouressy, A. Leblois, R. Marteau, B. Muller, P. Oettli, P. Quirion, S. B. Traoré, M. Vaksmann, La Météorologie, n° spécial AMMA, pp. 64-72 (2012).
- "The impact of future climate change on West African crop yields : what does the recent literature say ?", with B. Sultan, P. Quirion, A. Berg, Global Environmental Change, vol. 21, issue 3, pp. 1073-1083 (2011).
- "Calculation of design rainfall and runoff on the Bani basin (Mali): a study of the vulnerability of hydraulic structures and of the population since the drought", with G. Mahé, Hydrological Sciences Journal, vol. 55, issue 3, pp. 351-363 (2010).
- "Study of water stress and droughts with indicators using daily data on the Bani river (Niger basin, Mali)", with G. Mahé. International Journal of Climatoly, vol. 30, issue 11, pp. 1689–1705 (2010).