Stéphanie Leyronas studies relations between commons preservation and development dynamics.
Her research focuses on the way in which the commons approach calls development assistance into question. Given the mixed views about the effectiveness of public governance and market dynamics, the commons provide a theoretical framework and proposes a number of operational cases to move away from the public/private dichotomy. The commons approach urges us to understand countries’ and regions’ transitions in a holistic manner (ecological, social, economic) and emphasize issues which otherwise, are likely to be neglected, such as biodiversity, health, education and security.
Stéphanie Leyronas joined AFD in 2000. For nine years, she was responsible for appraising and monitoring water and sanitation programs financed in a number of countries in Africa, Asia and the Middle East, and was subsequently appointed Deputy Director of AFD’s Water and Sanitation Division in 2010. She joined the Research Department in September 2014.
Stéphanie Leyronas studied at the Mines ParisTech school and holds a Master’s Degree in Environmental Science (with a major in developing countries) from the National Institute of Agronomy of Paris-Grignon (INA-PG / AgroParisTech).
Publications as an authorResearch documentpublished in June 2021Vidéopublished in June 2021Research documentpublished in February 2021Research documentpublished in December 2020Research documentpublished in June 2020Research documentpublished in January 2020
Publications as a director
Publications as a coordinatorResearch documentpublished in February 2021Research documentThe Institutionalization of Irrigation and the Effects thereof: the Case of the Palestinian Water User Associationspublished in November 2020Research documentpublished in November 2020Research documentParticipatory irrigation management: from theory to reality – Insights from the Phước-Hòa irrigation projectpublished in October 2020Research documentpublished in February 2019Research documentpublished in February 2019
- "Les communs et l’aide au développement", with N. Legroux, Encyclopédie du développement durable n° 264 (2019)
- "Les politiques d’aide au développement au prisme des communs", Vers une république des biens communs ? (coordination N. Alix, J.-L. Bancel, B. Coriat and F. Sultan), ed. LLL, pp. 205-214 (2018)
- "Communs et développement : une approche renouvelée face aux défis mondiaux", with T. Bambridge, Revue internationale des études du développement (coordination S. Leyronas and T. Bambridge),n°233, pp. 11-29 (2018)
- “What can we learn from Polynesian governance about global issues and climate?”, with T. Bambridge, Tidalectics – Imagining an oceanic worldview through art and science, ed. Thyssen-Bomemisza Art Contemporary Academy (2018)
- "Eaux souterraines renouvelables", Dictionnaire des Biens Communs, (coordination M. Cornu, F. Orsi, J. Rochfeld), ed. PUF, pp. 467-470 (2017)
- "ODD 12 - Consommer et produire durablement : la difficile construction de nouveaux modes de vie", with A. Bonnel, Un défi pour la planète - les Objectifs de développement durable en débat (coordination P. Caron and J.-M. Châtaigner), ed. IRD, pp. 235-245 (2017)
- "Analyse – Produire et consommer durablement", with L. Chabason, Regard sur la Terre – Dossier Produire et consommer durablement (2016)
- "Le développement au prisme des communs", with G. Giraud and G. Rota-Graziosi, Revue d'économie du développement (coordination G. Giraud, S. Leyronas and G. Rota Graziosi), n°2016/3, vol. 24, pp. 5-7 (2016)