Niger is marked by very high demographic growth and multifaceted regional insecurity (illicit trafficking, rise in radical ideologies, etc.). The country also faces high levels of poverty and a social crisis exacerbated by its role as a key area for migrants from Sub-Saharan Africa seeking to get to the Maghreb region or Europe. The State has limited resources to control its borders and assert its authority in an immense territory. This situation fosters the cross-border circulation of combatants, armed groups and terrorist movements. While faced with the saturation of its penal chain and bottlenecks in the judicial treatment of these scourges, Niger is determined to combat terrorism and large-scale trafficking.
The program aims to contribute to eradicating poverty, promoting sustainable and inclusive growth and strengthening democratic and economic governance. The justice component of the project aims to build the capacities of judicial actors. It is about strengthening:
- The central services of the Ministry of Justice and in particular the penal chain, in order to provide an appropriate response to the fight against cross-border crime, human trafficking and illicit migrant smuggling;
- The National Agency to Combat Trafficking in Persons and Illegal Trafficking in Migrants in its mission to combat trafficking and assist victims of trafficking;
- The Bureau of International Cooperation on Criminal Matters in its fight against cross-border crime.
- Strengthen social cohesion and contribute to peace-building, with a focus on women and children;
- Promote and support policies and awareness-raising campaigns on gender equality and to combat violence against women;
- Strengthen the rule of law and improve the confidence and credibility of institutions guaranteeing democracy.
This project is carried out with the support of the European Union
The content of this project information sheet falls under the sole responsibility of the AFD and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of the European Union.
on the same region
on the same topicHealth and Social ProtectionGovernanceEducation and TrainingEmployment
on the same financial toolHealth and Social ProtectionEducation and TrainingWater and SanitationFighting Inequalities