The cultural and creative industries are capitalising on the tremendous momentum of innovation and entrepreneurship in Africa. From fashion to visual arts, from film to music, culture creates jobs, stimulates the economy, and enables inclusive and sustainable growth, while helping to better address issues of education, citizenship and the environment.
In its effort to put innovation and creative industries at the heart of its mission in South Africa, AFD has partnered with Tshimologong Digital Innovation Precinct. Established in 2016 in the vibrant inner-city district of Braamfontein, Johannesburg, Tshimologong Digital Innovation Precinct incubates digital entrepreneurs and grows the skills pipeline for the digital economy through collaboration with academia, corporates, government and entrepreneurs.
Between 2018 and 2021, the Digital Content Hub will:
- Incorporate training modules focused on content development in Tshimologong’s Skills Development Academy; French institutions will support Tshimologong in developing new curricula, training trainers and arranging exchanges of staff and students between France and South Africa;
- Develop a two-year skills development programme focused on gaming and animation in order to develop a skills pipeline for the creative and digital economy;
- Integrate Digital Labs Africa, an initiative launched by IFAS in 2016 to support African start-ups creating multimedia content, into Tshimologong’s existing start-up incubation programme.
By 2021, Tshimologong is expected to have fully incorporated digital content development into its activities in a self-sustainable manner.
- Foster skills development in the area of digital content creation in South Africa;
- Foster expertise exchange, skills transfer and business opportunities for French and African business;
- Create market access between French companies and South African startups, driving investment opportunities for digital content businesses.
on the same regionSustainable CitiesFighting InequalitiesSustainable Cities
on the same financial toolAgriculture and Rural DevelopmentClimateBiodiversity