The urbanization of poverty is particularly high in Greater Cairo, which today has some 18 million inhabitants and concentrates both: a large proportion of urban growth in Egypt, and the greatest urbanization constraints. The unplanned informal neighborhoods are home to 60% of Cairo’s population and account for 79% of economic growth.
The project is part of an integrated community development program involving AFD, the European Investment Bank (EIB), Germany’s GIZ and the European Union. It is implemented by the Social Fund for Development (SFD). The aim is to:
- Improve living conditions for populations in two informal neighborhoods in Cairo (Ezbet Kheir-Allah and Al-Zawya al-Hamra) and two informal neighborhoods in Giza (Ard el-Lewa and Mit Oqba) by financing small-scale, high labor-intensive rehabilitation works. They are financed by a grant delegated to AFD by the European Union’s Neighbourhood Investment Facility (NIF).
- Promote job creation and income generation in deprived areas by supporting SME access to credit. It is being financed by the SFD via an AFD credit line.
- Allocation of loans to 80,000 microenterprises and 1,250 small enterprises during the first 4 years of the use of the funds by the SFD, which will create or secure some 95,000 jobs.
- Construction or improvement works for basic infrastructure in 4 informal neighborhoods in Greater Cairo, which are home to some 1.2 million people.
- Improvement in population consultation processes thanks to a participatory approach (involvement of residents in the study aiming to identify priority needs in informal neighborhoods).
- Technical assistance, which aims to build the capacities of the entities responsible for the implementation of works, the SFD teams, its financial intermediaries and microenterprises and small enterprises (the final beneficiaries).
This project is carried out with the support of the European Union
The content of this project information sheet falls under the sole responsibility of the AFD and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of the European Union.
on the same regionEnergyClimateAgriculture and Rural DevelopmentWater and Sanitation
on the same topicEmploymentDigital and InnovationEmploymentDecent WorkAgriculture and Rural DevelopmentEmployment
on the same financial toolInfrastructureFighting Inequalities