The adoption of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in 2015 confirmed a 100% planetary agenda, going beyond the old North-South divide. It is an agreement on the "desired future" of humanity and its living environment, a future that explores new models of development that are prosperous, ecological, egalitarian, and participatory.
Public development banks (PDBs) and the OECD are called upon, in their respective roles, to promote the alignment of finance and investment with the SDGs, for the benefit of all. This seminar is open to interested OECD directorates, members of the FiCS and its Executive Committee (including PDBs, IDFC, other regional networks, private investors), as well as some guests from the major private sector coalitions on climate or SDG alignment (e.g. UNEP-FI, Glasgow-FANZ), the NGFS coalition (central banks, regulators), ministries, and relevant think-tanks.
These two-days will also feed into the preparation of the FiCS 2022 and the FiCS report to the G20. It will also help identify potential topics for work and collaboration between the FiCS/OECD/AFD and other partners.
Structure of the sessions: Sessions will be initiated by presentations of experts, followed by comments of a panel of representatives of coalitions, and an open discussion with participants.
Composition of the panel of major coalitions:
- For the private sector: Eric Usher, Head, UNEP Finance Initiative / Camille Putois, CEO of B4IG (Business for Inclusive growth)
- For central banks and regulators: Jean Boissinot, Secretary General, NGFS / Johanna Nyman, CEO AFI (Alliance for Financial Inclusion)
- For public banks (FiCS coalition): Sergio Gusmao Suchodolski, CEO Desenvolve SP, former vice-president of the ALIDE regional network / Kampeta Pitchette Sayinzoga, CEO, Development Bank of Rwanda
Facilitator of the seminar : Anne-Catherine Husson-Traore, general director, Novethics
The seminar will be held on-line and in English only.
5 April 2022, from 13:00 to 15:00 : Why alignment?
Welcome speech: Rémy Rioux, CEO of AFD, and President of the Executive committee of FiCS
Opening remarks: Mathias Cormann, Secretary General of the OECD
Introduction by Thomas Melonio, Director, AFD/ISR
What is the state of sustainable finance and investment in the world? (stocks, flows, climate and SDG compatibility) – Hubert de Milly, AFD/Raphael Jachnik, OECD/ENV
What is the role of public development banks in the SDG alignment agenda? (including mobilization) - Régis Marodon, AFD/Damien Barchiche, IDDRI/Cedric Merle, Natixis
What is the role of international standard setters, like OECD? (addressing the problems of disclosure, reporting, standards – plethora of initiatives, emerging solutions, OECD-UNDP Framework) - Robert Patalano and Catriona Marshall, OECD/DAF/Olivier Cattaneo, OECD/DCD
Panel Discussion: How to put all of finance and investment at the service of the SDGs?
Conclusion: Jorge Moreira Da Silva, Director, OECD/DCD
6 April 2022, from 13:00 to 15:00: How to achieve alignment?
- Introduction by Carmine Di Noia, Director, OECD/DAF
- Expert presentations (40mn): feedback from the field on alignment tools and practices:
What is the operational support for PDBs? José Luis Gordon, SG of ABDE Brazil
What alignment tools are available? Marion Joubert, AFD/SPR
What could be an adapted financial regulation? Johanna Nyman, Alliance for Financial Inclusion
- Including the social dimensions of SDG-alignment: Romina Boarini, Director, OECD/WISE
- Panel discussion: Between the field and global rules, the contribution of major coalitions
- Wrap-up by the moderator
- Conclusion and possible follow-up: Consolidating the dialogue between public and private finance and regulators, Rémy Rioux, CEO of AFD and President of the Executive Committee of FiCS.