"Innovate for climate and biodiversity" is the theme at the heart of the fifth edition of the AFD Digital Challenge. To participate, African start-ups operating in these fields have until June 11 to submit their applications via the website dedicated to the challenge.
With this annual competition, the AFD Group is once again strengthening its support to African start-ups and digital stakeholders. A digital revolution, driven by a new generation of entrepreneurs who combine innovation, economic performance, and social and environmental impact, is transforming the African continent.
Promoting a sustainable economic activity
Each year, the aim of the AFD Digital Challenge is to identify these startups, promote them, and accelerate their development. The mission of this fifth edition is to highlight digital innovation projects that help protect the environment, combat global warming, and/or protect biodiversity.
The competition is aimed at start-ups, associations, and research centers on the African continent, which offer innovative solutions to reduce the carbon impact of economic activities, promote the sustainable, participatory, and civic management of natural resources, and to promote a sustainable economic activity in accordance with environmental issues.
The 10 winning projects will receive financial support, as well as support to accelerate their project and participate in the development of solutions to protect the climate and biodiversity. They will be supported by AFD through an "acceleration pack", a technical and financial support worth €20,000.
- An application review phase, validating the eligibility of applicants and pre-selecting 30 start-ups on the basis of an analysis of the projects, their innovative nature, their economic model, their impact, and the role of digital technology;
- An in-depth analysis phase by AFD experts of the pre-selected projects;
- A final selection by the jury composed of AFD experts.
Announcement of the results on July 28, 2021.
- Applications can be submitted until June 11, 2021.
- For more information and to apply, visit our website.