The Northern area of Niger, around Agadez, Arlit and Tchirozérine, is isolated from the rest of the country. Electricity in this sector is mainly supplied by Sonichar’s coal-fired power plant. This old power plant mainly supplies electricity to mines in the region. It cannot be considered as a reliable source of supply over the long term. Its obsolescence also leads to a high generation cost.
Needs for basic services (including electricity) have increased, as the migrant population has led to a growth in the resident population in Agadez, and it has become necessary to create a new production center.
The project aims to create an additional power generation capacity in order to promote the economic and social development of the city of Agadez.
More specifically, it provides for:
- The construction of a hybrid power plant (13 MW photovoltaic and 6 MW thermal), support for its operation and maintenance for two years, and the connection of the city of Agadez
- Assistance to the contracting authority and institutional support to assist and train engineers and technicians in Niger in photovoltaic technologies, so that they can operate large-scale solar power plants themselves in the short term.
- The rehabilitation of the distribution grid of the city of Agadez, whose current state does not allow a good energy distribution to and in the city, and the electrification of the neighboring town of Tibinitene.
The construction of this hybrid power plant will contribute to the economic and social development of the city of Agadez, mainly by:
- Improving and securing the electricity supply of this urban center at the lowest possible cost
- Developing the country’s substantial renewable energy potential, by providing a sustainable and modular solution that will limit the greenhouse gas emissions of the energy mix in Agadez.
This project is carried out with the support of the European Union
The content of this project information sheet falls under the sole responsibility of the AFD and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of the European Union.
on the same regionEmploymentFighting Inequalities
on the same topicAgriculture and Rural DevelopmentFighting InequalitiesEnergyClimateSustainable CitiesClimate
on the same financial toolGovernanceEducation and TrainingEnergyHealth and Social ProtectionWater and Sanitation