Cairo is a high-density megacity with 20 million inhabitants. Their 24 million daily motorized trips are mainly made on deteriorated public transport, except for the metro which is extremely efficient, but cannot cover all the needs at metropolitan level. Car use is developing at the same time. The dynamics of motorization and car use are developing and gaining momentum and there is a sharp trend increase in energy consumption and GHG emissions.
The issues of sustainable mobility are still not sufficiently taken into account. As AFD had decided to participate in financing Line 3, phases 2 and 3, of the Cairo metro, it wished to extend its support to actions promoting the organization of the city’s public transport in response to requests from the Egyptian authorities.
The project comprises various components:
- Financing of the premium for scrapping polluting two-wheel vehicles for a replacement with less polluting vehicles;
- Implementation of a “Green Garage” pilot project in the Cairo Transport Authority’s main bus depot, which mainly involves improving maintenance management and quality;
- Support for the estimation and modelling of CO2 and other air pollutant emission factors from the various modes of public transport (buses, minibuses, microbuses) based on the actual situation in Cairo, in addition to the same program applied to passenger cars;
- Support for the definition of simplified appraisal methods for the Clean Development Mechanism for urban transport in Cairo;
- Additional actions to support the coordination of activities and awareness-raising on issues of sustainable mobility.
- Development of a sustainable urban transport management system in Cairo.
- Identification of sustainable financing schemes for public urban transport.
- Development of awareness of environmental issues in urban transport management.
on the same topicInfrastructureSustainable CitiesInfrastructureSustainable CitiesHealth and Social ProtectionEmployment
on the same financial toolHealth and Social ProtectionBiodiversityClimateCultural and Creative IndustriesDigital and Innovation