With a strong hydropower potential, Mozambique is the second largest electricity producer in Southern Africa. The electricity sector, driven by growing industrial demand for exploration and exploitation of natural resources, is therefore key to the national economy. In addition, the government has launched an aggressive electrification program with a goal of 100% access to electricity by 2030 (versus 27% today).
EDM has planned numerous investments to expand and improve the reliability of its network, as well as develop new production units, including the first solar photovoltaic plant. A trained and efficient workforce is key for these projects to succeed. However, EDM’s current training offering, which was developed in the 1990s, needs to be upgraded.
The project is structured around three essential components:
- Development of the training offer and the training of trainers of the Academy. This component will be carried out in connection with the EDM Human Resources Department's professionalization project, notably through the establishment of a skills management of the company (GPEC);
- Rehabilitation and modernization of the infrastructure of EDM's two existing training centers, based in Maputo and Chimoio;
- Support to stabilize the financial model of the training centers. Initially, it will involve the implementation of a customer satisfaction approach and specific accounting (internal invoicing). In a second step, a study will be carried out to prepare for opening the centers to external beneficiaries.
- Rehabilitation of the two existing training centers in Maputo and Chimoio;
- Modernization of the equipment of the two centers;
- Modernization of the training catalog related to the EDM strategy;
- Training of trainers identified internally;
- In-house training of around 1000 employees per year.
on the same regionWater and Sanitation
on the same topicClimateEnergyEducation and TrainingEnergyEnergySustainable Cities
on the same financial toolAgriculture and Rural DevelopmentBiodiversityDigital and Innovation