Blue economy is key to Indonesia, the largest archipelago in the world and one of the richest country in terms of biodiversity: 3/4 of Indonesia's territory consists of oceans or seas and over 6 million people depend on it for their livelihood.
However, Indonesian biodiversity reservoir is threatened by human activities, as well as by the effects of climate change. Furthermore, Indonesian marine natural resources are generally poorly documented and studied, suffering from gaps and lack of capacities of the Indonesian oceanographic research. For example:
- Indonesian seabed is only partially mapped, especially in deep waters,
- Lack of knowledge of geological phenomena like seismological risks, while tsunamis and earthquakes regularly affect Indonesia.
The project aims to provide Indonesian public institutions, in particular LIPI, with oceanographic research means and capacities. It will improve the management, quality and performance of oceanographic research. The Project is structured in 3 components:
- Refit of the existing research vessel Baruna Jaya VIII;
- Acquisition of a new oceanographic research vessel;
- National capacity building, through the establishment of a new mode of governance of the public fleet and of its autonomous management unit, as well as crews and researchers’ trainings.
- Better knowledge and management of Indonesian biodiversity and its marine resources;
- Better measurement of marine pollution impacts on coastal and marine ecosystems;
- Increased monitoring of the impacts of climate change on oceans;
- Strengthened quality and performance of oceanographic research, contributing to the expansion of Indonesian scientific research at the national and international levels;
- Development of synergies with all existing ocean institutions in Indonesia, with improved governance of ocean research activities.
At the time of this factsheet's production, EU support had not yet been confirmed. The contents of this publication are the sole responsibility of the author and can in no way be taken to reflect the views of the European Union.
on the same regionBiodiversityEmployment
on the same topicAgriculture and Rural DevelopmentClimate
on the same financial toolClimateGender EqualityInfrastructureSustainable Cities
We would like to hear from you! Would you take a moment to fill out a short survey for us?