CSO INITIATIVES MECHANISM
Do you represent a French CSO leading an international solidarity project? Find out about AFD’s CSO Initiatives mechanism.
Objective: cofinance field projects or programs that aim to support capacity building for local civil society organizations, cofinance CSO activities of general interest to structure French associations and education for development activities in France.
Eligible CSOs / project initiators: French CSOs set up over three years ago with the following status:
- Associations under the 1901 Law
- Non-profit associations governed by Alsace-Moselle law
- Trade unions governed by French law (Law of 21 June 1865) working on development actions
- French public-interest foundations that implement international solidarity actions.
Geographical areas concerned: all countries eligible for Official Development Assistance according to the list established by the OECD Development Assistance Committee (DAC) (with priority given to the priority countries for French cooperation), but also France for projects for education for development and international solidarity (EAD-SI), advocacy and structuring associations (SMA).
Methods: every year, for two months (May-June), a call for the expression of project intentions invites CSOs to submit a financing request for the following year. Once their project intention has been shortlisted, CSOs submit their project between October and June in the following year.
Amount of the CSO project: the total project amount must be above or equal to €300,000. Projects for a total amount of between €200,000 and €300,000 may only be declared eligible in specific and justified geographical and/or sectoral contexts.
AFD cofinancing (%): the cofinancing limit for “field” projects with French public funds, including AFD, the French Facility for Global Environment (FFEM) and French ministries (central and decentralized services) is:
- A maximum of 50% of the total budget of field projects and a maximum of 60% if they are in consortium.
- A maximum of 60% of the total budget of EAD-SI and SMA projects.
The CSO Initiatives mechanism is based on a grant budget allocated by the French Ministry for Europe and Foreign Affairs every year. It recognizes the right of initiative and independence of CSOs.
Find below the documents useful for your request for financing:
Is your CSO leading a project with an amount below €300,000? AFD supports two dedicated programs:
- The facility managed by the Micro-Project Agency. The Agency cofinances projects and assists project initiators with the preparation, supervision and evaluation of their initiatives. Find out more
- The Support Program for International Solidarity Organizations from Immigration (OSIM), led by the Forum of Migrant International Solidarity Organizations (FORIM). FORIM cofinances and supports local development microprojects with an amount below €120,000. Find out more
SMALL-SCALE INITIATIVES PROGRAM – BIODIVERSITY
Do you represent an African CSO working to protect biodiversity and combat climate change? The French Facility for Global Environment (FFEM) offers you its Small-Scale Initiatives Program (PPI). Find out more