Cancer has become a major public health problem in Tanzania as in many developing countries (the third leading cause of death worldwide). Tanzania has 40,000 new cancer cases per year, the majority of which are untreated. Between 5,000 and 10,000 patients receive referral care in a hospital setting. Of the patients treated, 80% arrive in hospital at an advanced stage of the disease and do not survive after 5 years.
The main objective of the project is to improve cancer management in the specialized approach to healthcare in Tanzania. It is a PPP and has embarked the Ministry of Health, as well as the main public partners (Muhimbili National Hospital, Ocean Road Cancer Institute) and private non-profit in the field of cancer (Bugando Medical Center and Aga Khan Heath Services Tanzania). The project has four major components:
- Improve and expand existing oncology infrastructure and tertiary services in the country);
- Build staff capacity in participating institutions ;
- Strengthen community-based cancer care practices by raising community awareness of primary prevention, screening and early detection ;
- Develop relationships with stakeholders and participating institutions on a common research agenda and ensure that best practices are adopted.
- Approximately 1.7 million people will be affected by the project through health education, screening, early de-tection and treatment; 50 highly qualified cancer care providers and over 500 community members and stake-holders will be trained.
- Project will promote gender equality and equity among Tanzanians (through special training on survival and groups of women affected by cancer, the detection of cervical and breast cancers through a mobile unit that will be equipped with a specialized mammography room and laboratory);
- AKHS intends to obtain a green certification for the Dar-es-Salaam radiotherapy centre;
- The project will also benefit from the Building Energy Efficiency Program (EBEP) and receive technical assistance to ensure the project’s environmental performance.
on the same regionAgriculture and Rural DevelopmentEnergyGovernance
on the same topicAgriculture and Rural DevelopmentHealth and Social ProtectionHealth and Social ProtectionHealth and Social Protection
on the same financial toolAgriculture and Rural DevelopmentEmploymentAgriculture and Rural DevelopmentFinancial Systems