Economic, social, and regional inequalities represent a major concern in Tunisia and around the world—for both ethical and political reasons. Growing gaps in equality threaten stability and social peace. They also discourage private initiative, curb investment, and reduce productivity.
This project is part of the European Facility for a research program on Inequalities in Developing and Emerging Countries, which is coordinated by the AFD. Financed by the Development Cooperation Instrument of the European Union, this facility enables to implement 20 research projects over the 2017-2020 period, in partnership with donors and research centers from the South to the North.
This research project has two components.
- The first consists of an in-depth review of the state of inequalities in Tunisia, including the geographical dimension. It should help take stock of the knowledge about this issue in Tunisia, by highlighting the territorial aspects of the various dimensions of inequalities.
- The second component involves analysis of the determinants of inequalities. In a context of territorial comparison, the analysis focuses on social characteristics, training, and evolution of social capital. It also takes into account the importance of heritage in skills and knowledge, i.e. the inherited human capital that supplements the human capital acquired through the formal education system.
The two components of this research program are complementary and must be carried out in a parallel fashion. The objective? To give a broader perspective of the geographical aspects that characterize inequalities in Tunisia.
Two articles will be produced from the research:
- a first one that takes stock of the inequalities;
- and a second one on their determinants and on the role of human and social capital in the emergence (or formation) of inequalities.
- A review of national and international literature will be conducted, especially on the conceptual and theoretical aspects. This will make it possible to fine-tune the analytical framework for measurement and analysis of inequalities and their determinants.
- A quantitative analysis on the state and evolution of inequalities will be carried out, based on available data.
- A survey will be carried out, with the main objective of gathering data on human capital and on social capital, through the diverse geographical areas of Tunisia where quite homogeneous communities are identified. This survey will make it possible to propose a measurement of human and social capital, which will be used to analyze the determinants of inequalities.
You may find the research papers and the policy brief here:
- Les inégalités en Tunisie ( in French)
- Les inégalités en Tunisie : quels rôles pour le capital humain hérité et le capital social ? ( in French)
This project is carried out with the support of the European Union
The content of this project information sheet falls under the sole responsibility of the AFD and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of the European Union.
on the same region
on the same topicÉducation et formationAgriculture et développement ruralSanté et protection socialeÉducation et formation