The objective of the first phase of the Facility was twofold:
- To better understand socio-economic inequalities, their determinants, their evolution and their effects in order to better respond to them in terms of public policies
- Promote common strategies on inequalities between EU Member States, in the framework of the 2030 Agenda and the Sustainable Development Goals. The final objective was thus to better coordinate the various European strategies and to strengthen the contribution of the European Union's development cooperation agencies to the reduction of inequalities.
Within this framework, the following activities were carried out:
- Conducting thematic and global research on the determinants and dynamics of socio-economic inequalities in developing and emerging countries, in partnership with research centres.
- Implementation of research projects in partnership with research centres and governments in selected countries and cities to meet the needs of the countries studied and to create an opportunity for policy dialogue with partner governments on the subject of inequality.
- AFD supports partner countries and development institutions in integrating research results into national policies and development cooperation strategies.