- The 2021 Summit
- Video replays
- Further reading
- A look back at the 2020 Edition
The Summit will be hosted by Cassa Depositi e Prestiti (CDP), the Italian National Promotional Institution and Financial Institution for Development Cooperation, in partnership with the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) and with the support from all the members of the Finance in Common Coalition.
It will be held 19-20 October 2021 in Rome and in digital format, and will gather the whole development bank community, comprising more than 500 PDBs and other key stakeholders (governments, central banks, private sector, civil society, think tanks and academia, etc.).
As stated by Prime Minister Mario Draghi during the Leaders Summit on Climate April 22, “Italy looks forward to hosting the second edition of the Finance in Common Summit of all Public Development Banks as part of our G20 Presidency”.
The second edition of the FiCS will provide an opportunity to emphasize the role of Public Development Banks (PDBs) in reconciling short-term response to the pandemic with longer-term measures for the economic recovery, engaging the development finance community in mobilizing financial resources towards the implementation of the Paris Agreement on climate change and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
The 2021 Finance in Common Summit will notably focus on the contribution of PDBs to the transformation of agriculture and agribusiness for food security, adaptation to climate change and biodiversity preservation. The Summit will also offer the opportunity to address other specific global and crosscutting issues, creating and leveraging synergies with other international events that will take place this year.
For the second year, AFD will be a main partner of the Finance in Common Summit. Along with international institutions and partners, AFD will be participating specifically on the following sessions throughout the two days of the Summit:
- Operationalizing the agriculture-planet nexus
- The role of public development banks in promoting sustainable agriculture around the world
- Investing for change: from water and sanitation investments to resilient countries with PDBs
- PDBs Database: 500+ mobilized for the FiCS Coalition
- Leaders’ Dialogue
- Gender Equality, Climate Change and Funding
- Scaling-up Public Development Banks’ sport for sustainable development programs”
- Towards G20, COP 26 and FiCS 2022
- Leveraging PDBs to achieve Inclusive and Green Food system transformation: a multi-stakeholder perspective
The global coalition of PDBs: potentials, results and new roadmap for Finance in Common Coalition
Below, you will find publications and resources pertaining to the 2021 Finance in Common Summit, and can read about the topics discussed during the event.
- Rémy Rioux, CEO of Agence Française de Développement: "A Renaissance Among Public Development Banks"
- An Evaluation of Public Development Banks and the Sustainable Development Goals
- Public Development Banks at a Glance
- A New Database of the World's 527 Public Development Banks and Financing Institutions Unveiled
- Public Development Banks in Action: A Progress Report One Year On
- Following FICS 2, Development Bank Coalition Ready for the Road Ahead
- 2021 Finance in Common Summit: Progress and New Directions for the Public Development Banks Coalition and its Stakeholders
- AECID, AFD, CDP and KfW together for the creation of a new European Strategic Cooperation Framework
- Finance in Common Summit: Development Banks Commit to Post-Pandemic Recovery and Sustainable Development
Research Paper: Mapping 500+ Development Banks
Building Resilience for People and Planet
The first edition of the Finance in Common Summit (9-12 November 2020) underscored the crucial role of Public Development Banks (PDBs) in reconciling short-term countercyclical responses with sustainable recovery measures that will have a long-term impact on the planet and societies.
By reconciling the entire finance community in support of common action for climate and the UN Sustainable Development Goals, the Finance in Common Summit was a key milestone on the way to the crucial events of 2021, notably the COP26, the COP15 and the Generation Equality Forum.
The first deliverable of the Finance in Common Summit was a joint declaration of all Public Development Banks stating their willingness to contribute to the recovery and align with sustainable finance principles. This declaration and the program of the FiCS are built around four key questions:
- What is the “raison d’être”, role and investment thesis of the PDBs in times of Covid-19 crisis, fighting climate change and serving the 2030 Agenda?
- Are PDBs sufficiently contributing to the agenda collectively set in 2015?
- How can PDBs better cooperate to maximize their action?
- How to make progress towards a coherent financial system where all financial flows are directed towards climate and sustainability?
Some Public Development Banks have taken the lead to deliver additional statements on agriculture, biodiversity, climate, energy transition, gender and sport/development.
Replay of the 2020 Finance in Common Summit
Watch the plenary replay: