- Monday, June 5, from 2 pm to 6:30 pm (CET) - Brazil Under Lula’s Third Term in Office
Online and in person. Registration required.
Location: AFD (Mistral Auditorium), Paris.
After an economic boom in the early 2000s, Brazil suffered a crisis period that deteriorated the country’s economic situation. Then came the Covid-19 pandemic, with devastating effects on the country’s social fabric. The post-crisis context has seen the recent return of Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva to the presidency, following an election that propelled Brazil to the fore of the international stage.
This half-day dedicated to Brazil will be an opportunity to examine the economic and environmental policies of President Lula’s third term and the fine line between domestic and international policies.
- Tuesday, June 6, 2023, from 2:30 pm to 4:00 pm (CET) – Nature at the Heart of AFD Group’s Action in the Caribbean
Online only. Registration required.
In English only.
Overexploitation and extinction of species, destruction of natural environments, climate change, pollution… These increasing pressures on biodiversity are exerting considerable impact on Caribbean peoples and economies. One of AFD Group’s priorities is to find solutions in common to respond to these shared challenges. As part of the Latin America and the Caribbean Weeks 2023, this webinar will give the floor to various stakeholders active in high-impact projects in the Caribbean. It will also be an occasion for exchanges on partnership opportunities.
- Tuesday, June 6, 2023, 2:30 pm to 5:30 pm (CET) – 15th International Economic Forum on Latin America and the Caribbean: Toward Renewed Partnerships for Sustainable Development
Co-organized by the OECD Development Centre, the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) and AFD Group.
At the OECD Paris office and online. Registration required.
In English, French, and Spanish.
Geopolitical tensions and uncertainties in the global economy are casting a shadow over the sustainability of the development trajectory of the countries of Latin America and the Caribbean. Economic growth remains low, poverty is higher than a decade ago, and the informal sector still accounts for more than half the workforce.
The need to make a green transition is an opportunity for the region to move toward more sustainable and inclusive models. But how can its economies attract more environmentally conscious investors? What policies can give impetus to the greenest strategic sectors? Will the global initiatives of 2023 to reform international financial architecture open up access to new sources of financing and innovative tools?
Below is a list of useful publications and resources to find out more about AFD Group’s actions in Latin America and the Caribbean, and on the challenges of the region.
- Latin America and Caribbean Weeks: AFD is "more Latin American than you think!"
- Diego Guevara: “We Cannot Develop Sustainably if We Lack the Resources”
- Suriname: Improving Waste Treatment for a Cleaner Environment and Better Human Health
- Bolivia: improving water management and clean-up of the Río Rocha in Cochabamba (in French and Spanish only)
- AFD Uses Strong Sustainability to Support Partners’ Transitions to Greener Development
- Ecuador Prepares the Path to Decarbonization
- Argentina: progress in eliminating violence against women (In French and Spanish only)
- [Podcast] Focus on feminist struggles in Ecuador (In French only)
- Ecuador on the Way to Sustainable and Resilient Urban Mobility (In French and Spanish only)
- Strengthening Climate Action in the Dominican Republic
- Pablo Larco, Tecnical Expert in Ecuador, on “Bioeconomy: Protecting Biodiversity for an ‘Economy for Life’”
- A Smart App for Sustainable Fishing in Mexico
- Conservation in the Caribbean: “It is essential to pull our resources together to multiply the impacts of our actions”
- The EU and AFD, combating inequalities together
- Public-Private Partnerships Drive Sustainable Development in Brazil's South-East
- AFD Support for Biodiversity in Mexico: Robust Assessments and Concrete Results
- Colombia: First Loan in Local Currency to Support Responsible Development
- Bolivia: Supporting Policies for Better Water Management
Our activities in Latin America:
- Latin America Strategy 2018-2022 (In French only)
- Andean Region - 2020-2024 Regional Strategy
- Regional Strategy Brazil-Southern Cone 2020-2024
- Mexico Strategy 2018-2022 (In French only)
- Brazil Strategy 2018-2022 (In French only)
- AFD and Latin America
- AFD Group in the Andean Region (In French and Spanish only)
- AFD and Brazil (In French and Portuguese only)
- AFD Group and Colombia (In French and Spanish only)
- AFD and Costa Rica
- AFD and Mexico (In French only)
- AFD and the Fight Against Climate Change in Mexico (In French only)
- AFD and the Energy Transition in Mexico
- AFD, Biodiversity and Sustainable Agriculture in Mexico (In French only)
- AFD Group and Peru (In French and Spanish only)
Our conferences available in replay:
- Conference, March 17, 2022: Digital Labor Platforms: what challenges and opportunities for Argentina?
- Conference, March 20, 2023: Colombia: Implementing structural reforms to address the great challenge of inequality
The EU-AFD Research Facility on Inequalities:
- A Research Facility to Better Understand Inequalities
- Phase 1 of the Facility - project in Colombia: Analysis of inequalities (In Spanish only);
- Infographic summarizing the analysis (In French only)
- Extension of the Facility in Colombia
- Extension of the Facility in Mexico
- The Green Transition Dilemma: the impossible (?) quesRegularizing Rio's Favelas via Land Sharingt for prosperity of South American economies
- Regularizing Rio's Favelas via Land Sharing (In French only)
- Social Assistance for Informal Workers – Analysis of the Covid-19 response in Brazil and Colombia
- Are There Still Social Commons in Mexico? (In French only)
- The Middle Class in Argentina: dynamics, characteristics and implications for public policies
- Governance Challenges in Overseas France (In French only)
- A Modeling of Long-Term Growth Trajectories of Overseas France (In French only)
- Toward a Reliable Assessment of the Environmental Sustainability of Territories
- Vulnerabilities to Climate Change in the French Overseas Territories and Small Island States
Publications on Uberized work in Argentina:
- Regulating Platform Delivery Work in Argentina. Tensions Between Regulations and the Priorities of Workers
- Precarisation or Protection? The Impact of Digital Platform Labour on Argentinean Domestic Workers in Times of Pandemic
- Gender Inequalities in the Platform Economy: the cases of delivery and private passenger transport services in the Buenos Aires Metropolitan Area
- Labour Market Trajectories and Conciliation Efforts Among Female Uber Drivers
Editorials (in French) in “The Conversation”:
- Argentina: uncontrolled inflation and economic uncertainty
- Female Uber Drivers in Argentina Face Gender Inequalities
- For Bolivian Women, Water is a Source of Life… and Persistent Inequalities