Thomas Mélonio, an economist by training, has been Executive Director of Innovation, Research, and Knowledge since September 2018.
This division aims to find solutions to the complex challenges of sustainable development through research, knowledge sharing, and innovation. To better support AFD partner countries along their trajectory toward more sustainable development, it produces economic and social research, evaluates AFD-funded projects, trains developing country management personnel, finances innovative projects related to the environment (via the French Global Environment Facility—FGEF), and helps share innovation across AFD’s other divisions.
After completing a Masters degree in Economics and Finance at HEC, Thomas Mélonio completed a PhD at Institut Etudes Politiques (IEP) in Paris. He joined AFD in 2005, initially editing several research publications (La lettre des économistes, Afrique contemporaine, Regards sur la Terre), before joining the Research Department. His work at the time focused on financing for education, higher education, student loans, and international migration.
From 2012-2017, he became deputy adviser and then adviser to the French President on Africa. He was AFD’s Director of Partnerships from 2017 to 2018 and became Executive Director of Innovation, Research, and Knowledge in September 2018.
Publications as an authorResearch documentpublished in December 2019Research documentpublished in September 2011
- "Enseignement supérieur au Moyen-Orient et en Afrique du Nord : atteindre la viabilité financière tout en visant l’excellence", with A. Jaramillo, World Bank and AFD Report (2011)
- "Student Loans : Liquidity Constraint and Higher Education in South Africa", with M. Gurgand and A.J.S. Lorenceau. Working paper n°117 (2011)
- "Resserrer les liens avec les diasporas : Panorama des compétences des migrants", with J.-C. Dumont and S. Widmaier, ed. OCDE (2012)
- "Dépenses publiques d’éducation et inégalités. Une perspective de cycle de vie", with G. Allègre and X. Timbeau. La Revue économique n°2012/6, vol. 63, pp.1055-1079 (2012)
- "L’épargne nette ré-ajustée", with C. Antonin and X. Timbeau, Revue de l’OFCE n°120, pp. 259-286 (2012)
- "Financement et valorisation de l'éducation : une exploration aux marges de la théorie du capital humain", thesis carried out under the supervision of J.-P. Fitoussi (2011)
- "L’immatérielle richesse des nations", with X. Timbeau, Revue de l’OFCE n°97, pp. 329-363 (2006).